Can Your Child Be Charged With a Crime if They Are Being a Bully?

Imagine you receive a call from your child’s school, explaining that they’ve been bullying others on the school’s property. As a result of the bullying, your child is being arrested and charged with a crime. This may mean any number of actions took place without you knowing, but what if it was all a misunderstanding? Maybe you haven’t even been given an opportunity to talk with your child about how to treat others or to hear their side of the story. If a child is bullying others in school, it isn’t easy to imagine what happens to any of the children involved. 

If your child is charged with a crime for bullying others in school, you may suddenly need to get involved with legal matters and court proceedings. Hayes Law, PLLC may be able to assist you through the criminal defense process. We have several helpful insights and thoughts that may be useful while navigating the legal system. With extensive experience and a history of bringing success to clients, Attorney Hayes has the resources and strategies to help you as well. 

What Are the Potential Consequences a Child May Face for Bullying?

Depending on the specific circumstances surrounding your child’s arrest, they may face a handful of consequences for their actions. Based on court-ordered penalties, your child may face time spent in juvenile hall or jail. Jail would only happen if they are charged as an adult instead of as a minor. In some cases, the family may suffer fines and other court-ordered consequences.

To help reduce these penalties following legal proceedings, we strongly recommend you speak with a lawyer. Your child’s attorney will likely have the resources and strategies necessary to assist your family, working to reduce these consequences and helping your family return to a sense of normalcy in everyday life.

Is Bullying a Crime?

Bullying can be quite broad and can encompass verbal harassment or physical altercations. Depending on your child’s intentions, the frequency of offenses, and the extent of other children’s injuries or damages, bullying may be considered a crime in New Hampshire. 

Can a Lawyer Help Your Child’s Case?

Your child being charged with bullying may be overwhelming for you as a parent or guardian, so we recommend speaking with a lawyer for assistance. Your child’s attorney may be able to help your family in several ways, including the following:

  • Legal knowledge and suggestions
  • Negotiation skills
  • Handling insurance companies and other legal representatives
  • Speaking on your and your child’s behalf
  • Completing and filing paperwork
  • Maintaining schedules and appointments
  • Joining or leading investigations
  • Collecting and assessing evidence
  • Reducing or eliminating consequences
  • Strategizing the best next steps
  • Building strong arguments and defenses in your child’s favor
  • Providing valuable information and resources
  • Referring you to helpful professionals, including expert witnesses
  • Reducing stress

It’s best to avoid representing yourself during legal proceedings whenever possible, as this will help your family avoid risks associated with misrepresenting the case. Your attorney is far more likely to bring your family success, reduce consequences, and represent your child fairly and favorably.

It’s suggested that you speak with an attorney at your earliest convenience to improve your success odds further. Speaking with a lawyer sooner rather than later will allow the necessary time for collecting evidence and developing a case in your family’s favor.

Get Valuable Assistance From Hayes Law, PLLC’s Criminal Defense Lawyer

If your child has been arrested for bullying others in school, you may benefit from getting in contact with Hayes Law, PLLC‘s criminal defense lawyer. Attorney Hayes has extensive experience in criminal defense law, helping many clients reduce consequences during legal proceedings. 

We are dedicated to supporting our clients through every step of the legal process, and we’re trusted to bring success and fight for their rights. To discuss your case details please don’t hesitate to contact our team. You can reach us by calling (603) 821-9438 or by completing our contact form, whichever you prefer.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *